Why would I come to Dungloe ?
WHY WOULD I COME TO DUNGLOE?
The mountains, the lakes, the rugged landscape or the beaches where you can walk on your own for hours without meeting another soul. There are lots of reasons to come to Dungloe and indeed the Rosses, the main one being its people who are second to none for their community spirit and hospitality.
Set in the West of County Donega,l Dungloe is the recognized capital of an area called the Rosses or in the Irish language known as Na Rosa or na Rosann. The rest of the Rosses is made up of small villages and settlements around it. These are Arranmore Island, Annagry, Burtonport, Doochary, Kincasslagh, Lettermacaward, Maghery, Mullaghduff and Rann Na Feirste. All worth a visit in their own right.
The population of Dungloe at the last census (2011) was 998 while the total population of the Rosses would be estimated to be around 7,500.
While unemployment has risen significantly in the last while and emigration has soared you would be forgiven for thinking that the recession had not really “come to Dungloe”. This year more than ever everybody has made a huge effort to keep the town and its environs looking good. We are Tidy Town entrants and are gaining points year on year.
Events & Festivals
- April Bank Holiday – Woman’s Weekend
- May Bank Holiday – Dungloe Walking Weekend
- June Bank Holiday – Traditional Weekend
- August Bank Holiday – Mary From Dungloe Festival
- October Bank Holiday – Peadar O’Donnell Weekend You can find out more about any of these events on Failte Ireland website .
- In recent years Walking has become very popular with locals and visitors alike. Next year we hope to have some of our many beautiful walks mapped and ready to hand out to visitors.
- Fishing is very well established in the area and there is plenty of advice and help available locally.
- Stay overnight and use Dungloe as your base to explore the wider area of this part of the County. You can climb Errigal, visit Glenveagh Castle, go on a boat trip to Arranmore Island or relax and play golf in Cruit while staying in one of our many guest houses which will go to any lengths to make your stay a good one.